Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The depressoin that a chronic medical condition brings with it

I unfortunately have had a long term issue with depression. It is hard to explain why but it happened. I would not change who I am if I could because i am a great person and i would not be me if i had not been born with cP.
It is tough not to become depressed though. I still have to deal with everything that comes along with this like the rstrictions it puts on my life. There are some that i can not control. I will never be able to drive because of the visual issues that i have which i have talked very little about but i will fill you all in on those later.
I never really felt like i fit in wht everyone else because everyone just really wanted to be helpers. I will admit that is how i met the friends i have but they were willing to see beyond me needing assistance and let me just get to know them and they actually helped me to become more independant in many ways.
I honestly think alot of the depression comes from having to deal with all of the medical issues from such a young age. I still have more trips to doctors than others my age. That is just how it is because my imune system is weaker than everyone elses from being born early. Teh docs said it would catch up and i will admit it has done a great job but it still has its faults.
I do not like having depression and have been working incredibly hard to learn to cope with it and am hoping to eventually become free of it but even if that does not happen i am learning how to take control of depression not let depression take control of me. That is so important but sometimes its tough to do. I usually take things day by day and go from there that is how life works best for me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - I found your blog through Eva's blog. I have a 5 year old daughter with CP and she is very speech delayed so she's not able to tell me what she's thinking so it's helpful to see the world through your eyes. I look forward to following you in your journeys. You are an amazing young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ill try my best to enlighten you and help if i can if you have any questions please feel free to post them as comments and i will answer them

    ReplyDelete