Wednesday, October 28, 2009

the dreaded S word

My orthopedic doctor talked about surgery freequently but he needed to wait for my muscles and tendons to stop growing before her could proceed with what he felt would be the most helpful of surgical options for my particular case.
I had what is called a tendon transfer surgery on my left foot and ankle area. they split the stronger tendon and put soem of it on one side and some on the other side of my foot by cutting it down the middle. It was very very painful. I was in a chair for three weeks or so then i went to a walker. I missed four or five weeks of school and went back just in time to take my final exams my sophmore year. I had to keep up on my work the entire time too because i did not want to retake my sophmore classes when i was a junior because that would have been harder than keeping up on the work it would have been twice the work load.
It was a long recovery for me i was stuck in the hous alot and it was done in may and the cast stayed on until july. It made for a long borring depressing summer. I am glad that was the only surgery that i had done for the CP. My teachers were amazed to see me come back to school the end of that year. I told them i was going to but i guess they did not think i was going to. One more time of many that i proved everyone wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment