Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bracing explained

I do not remember when exactly i started wearing braces but i can deffinately discribe the process for those who do not know what it is all about. Well first let me also explain the two types of Braces that i wore through the years. They were both AFO'S ankle foot orthotis I think is what it meant. either that or Orthotics i dont remember all of the medical wording.
One of the Braces that i wore was metal and it attatched to the bottom of my shoe underneath the sole and went to the knee. It had a joint like my ankle so that i could walk. It was heavey and it was in the begining only on one leg. Around the time i was in eight grade the orthopedic decided to put them on both legs. That was tough and i hated every minute of it. that is when i decided to change to the other type of brace. It still had the same name but it was made from plastic and alot lighter.
I did not really like the plastic because of sweating and the fact that it enclosed my leg except for the front which had straps over the knee area and ankle to hold my legs and feet into them. The only benifit was that they were much lighter when i had them on both legs and it made it much easier to move.

The fitting process
Well this was intersting for me with the sensory issues that go along with CP. They wrap the limbs in plaster from the knee to the toes and then wait for it to harden then they remove it and begin the process of molding plastic to the contours of the limbs. Well while they did this it was witing for me a few weeks or so.
Then came the actual time to try them on. I would put my foot into them and try to explain where the uncomfortable spots were. kind of tough for a youngster actually and then they would trim them down until they fit comfortably which sometimes took more than one trip. They would think they got all of the uncomfortable areas and then i would start getting skin breakdown so back we would go. It is quite a process.
Needless to say i had a great relationship with the man who made them. Out of the doctors i met he was one of my personal best. He took the time to ensure everything was ok before he sent me on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment