Monday, November 15, 2010

This post is geared more toward life with erebral palsy for me

I was on you tube a while ago watching videos of the many who share information on their lives with cerebral palsy and under one of those post someone posted that they felt sorry for the person because they had trouble speaking and moving. well this is what brought this post to light for me as I know the blog has not been related to CP hardly at all.
fotr those who have not gone through to read my full blog I was diagnised with spastic dipligia cerebral palsy at 18 months of age and it still affects every aspect of life today. I am unable to drive and unable to walk long distances without getting tired. When I go cristmas shopping for example I have a list of everyone who I need to shop for and get most of them done depending on who I am with because those ones i can not do because they will get the hint that the gift is for them lol. I usually only go out shopping two to three times at most for christmas gifts becaue it really stresses me alot and I get really tired and when I get overstimulated my cranky side shows badly.
another way that CP still affects me today is I still have a startle reflux and others like to use it to get a laugh and depending on the person I usually dont mind i normally laugh along with them.
Also i am learning that as a young adult with cerebral palsy that certain things that pertain to having cerebral palsy come along for example I have joint and muscle pain now tht most people my age do not experience. aslo I notice that as the weather gets colder it gets harder for me to control my spasticity and that seems to be getting a little worse with each year at this time. I just wanted to let others know how the Cp effects my life each and every day.
I have also had alot of peole ask me if I wished i were different or normal, My answer to taht is no I have not wished to be different for a long time. Yes it took me alot of tiem to realize that it is ok to be me and what others think does not matter but i am at that point now i am completely happy with the smart healthy young woman I am today.
I have been teased and things and that just makes me realize now to look at what is on the inside of people because that is where the most important things are. I dont like the saying beauty is only skin deep because when alot of people look at me for the first time they do not see my beauty because of my differences. I see my self as normal and beautiful but others need to take the time to get to know me on the inside to realize that my insides are the same.
i hate it when people feel sorry for those of us with cp that is not what we as people want and yes that is what we are we are people that are just like non disabled people on the inside. all we want is respect and most of all acceptance. this message does not pertain to my blog followers you all know from personal expereince that this is the case. it is for thos who do not understand what life is like to be permanantly different. we love ourselves and we were put here for a reason. It may take us longer to fined that reason but we are here and we were put here by god's grace and I thank him every day for the time he has given me on this earth to watch my nieces and nephews even the non biological ones who call me auntie grow and change.
I feel that I was put here to make others understand this condition and I am doing my best to do that in the only way I know how. I am not paid to do this but I feel it is my place people neeed to understand how it is to live with CP or any other physical or mental disability. try walking in our shoes for a while and you would wuickly realize we are not that different in our wants and needs.

CP is only part of us
Cp is part of me
This is true you see
it is just a part of me
I may look different
i may walk different
But my feelings are no different
On the inside I am the same
of my disability i am not ahamed
Ion the inside I am the same
I feel love
I feel hurt
i feel happy
I feel sad
i feel glad
I feel mad
We all have feelings
that is what makes us human
My feelings have been hurt
some have made me feel like dirt
those bad times I have over come
tiem it has taken some
but those I have over come
now each tiem someone is cruel
I no longer get blue
I tell them about what I have
and after some feel sad
i tell them not to feel bad
i am who i am because of my CP
but it is only part of me
this I wish everyone could see
I love my CP and I love me
This was just a poem that I basically threw together because of what i saw tonignt I hope it helps to get the point acoss that those of us who are disabled just want to be treated normally accepted and listened to. See my CP thoughts do come back lol I am sorry the blog has gone so awry but I have had alot going on to all of my faithful followers thank you for knowing and understanding throguh personal expereince what we want and need and thank you for doing your best to take care of gods special people we are all special in our own way but god put us here for a reason. seheila and steph i love watching Bren and malayna grow and change and love hearing from you on my blog if you have any specific questions on how CP affected me in any way through life please feel free to shoot your questions even if you have soem ideas for topics of posts on CP i am fine with that as well.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jenny! I appreciate being able to see the world through your eyes, it helps to understand what Malayna might be feeling sometimes. I'm sure it will be even more helpful as she gets older. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete